ext2fs corruptions and other things ...

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: ext2fs corruptions and other things ...
From: engel@numerik.math.uni-siegen.de (Michael Engel)
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 00:53:14 +0200 (MET DST)
Hi,

sorry for all the delays and everything ... it were two very busy weeks :-(.
Following Ralfs proposal, how about a MIPS hackers' BBQ now that it looks
like the eternal rain in Germany has stopped ;) ? We could try to find a new
date for the first DEChack then ... Btw., I'll try to put 2.1.100 for
DECstations on decstation.unix-ag.org tomorrow, Harald's patch didn't
apply cleanly and I'd like to sort that out before putting the new sources
up.

Back to hacking ... I just got 2.1.100 running on my RM200 and noticed
two things:

- Automatic IRQ detection of ISA cards doesn't work. Does it work on any
  other MIPS machines ? Setting a fixed irq line makes my NE2000 and IDE
  controller work in the ISA slots.
- NFS root works fine, I'm up and running multi user with the old rootfs-0.01 -
  fine ! However, I suspect quite some problems with these binaries ...
- Whenever I try to untar rootfs-0.01.tar.gz on my IDE hard disk, I get
  a fs corrution (usually after creating the second directory):

  EXT2-fs error (device 03:00):
  ext2_readdir: bad entry in directory #2:
  rec_len is smaller than minimal - offset=896, inode=0, rec_len=0,
  name_len=0

  [Note that I'm using the raw disk /dev/hda as fdisk doesn't seem to
   create correct partition information]

  Has anyone seen similar effects on MIPS machines ?

Off to read the intel 82596 ethernet controller docs ...

regards,
        Michael Engel   (engel@unix-ag.uni-siegen.de)