ext2fs corruptions and other things ...

Subject: ext2fs corruptions and other things ...
From: (Michael Engel)
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 00:53:14 +0200 (MET DST)

sorry for all the delays and everything ... it were two very busy weeks :-(.
Following Ralfs proposal, how about a MIPS hackers' BBQ now that it looks
like the eternal rain in Germany has stopped ;) ? We could try to find a new
date for the first DEChack then ... Btw., I'll try to put 2.1.100 for
DECstations on tomorrow, Harald's patch didn't
apply cleanly and I'd like to sort that out before putting the new sources

Back to hacking ... I just got 2.1.100 running on my RM200 and noticed
two things:

- Automatic IRQ detection of ISA cards doesn't work. Does it work on any
  other MIPS machines ? Setting a fixed irq line makes my NE2000 and IDE
  controller work in the ISA slots.
- NFS root works fine, I'm up and running multi user with the old rootfs-0.01 -
  fine ! However, I suspect quite some problems with these binaries ...
- Whenever I try to untar rootfs-0.01.tar.gz on my IDE hard disk, I get
  a fs corrution (usually after creating the second directory):

  EXT2-fs error (device 03:00):
  ext2_readdir: bad entry in directory #2:
  rec_len is smaller than minimal - offset=896, inode=0, rec_len=0,

  [Note that I'm using the raw disk /dev/hda as fdisk doesn't seem to
   create correct partition information]

  Has anyone seen similar effects on MIPS machines ?
Off to read the intel 82596 ethernet controller docs ...

        Michael Engel   (