Re: One good and some bad news

To: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Subject: Re: One good and some bad news
From: Thomas Bogendoerfer <tsbogend@alpha.franken.de>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 23:53:19 +0200
Cc: linux-mips@fnet.fr, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Sun, Jul 12, 1998 at 07:01:35PM +0200, ralf@uni-koblenz.de wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 12, 1998 at 11:29:49AM +0200, Thomas Bogendoerfer wrote:
>
> > first the good news:
> >
> > Yesterday XF68_FBDev showed the first ugly gray X11 screen on my
> > Olivetti M700. Yeah !
>
> Does this mean the X Server which I've built is running without
> changes?

no, that's the one I've built:-) But it's made with your XFree patch
and an updated .spec file for the latest RH5.1 package (XFree86-3.3.2-13).
A couple of hours ago, I had X with window manager and application running
(PS/2 mouse works, too). There is only one small problem left, when scrolling
the X screen down. Looks like my "hardware" scrolling has some problems
with graphics.

> DBE has a nasty property, it can be delayed until some write access
> is written back from cache to memory.  The EPC then often points to
> completly useless addresses.

good to know, as the address was really bogus. Is there a chance to
print out the faulting physical address for a bus error ? This would
give us some chances to find the real culprit. But it still hasn't happen
again.

> Some places in the kernel also pass uncached addresses to MAP_NR().  In
> order to make that work right I decieded back in '94 to mask out everything
> but the bits that might be set in the physical address corrosponding to a
> KSEG0 address.

hmm, I've checked the MAP_NR() in the kernel, and couldn't find such
cases. In fact my changed kernel works perfect.

> The Olli case is somewhat special because the designers had the gorgeuous
> idea of placing some peripherals outside the lowest 4gb therefore more
> fun with EISA mappings for example ahead ...

I know.

> These type of warning messae often indicate serious trouble.

hmm, the produced binaries are working without problem.

Thomas.

you have to be a sneaky bastard too ;-)