RE: DZ device driver for DECStation 2100, 3100, 5xxx

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: RE: DZ device driver for DECStation 2100, 3100, 5xxx
From: Harald Koerfgen <harald.koerfgen@netcologne.de>
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 1998 22:56:28 +0200 (MEST)
Sender: harry@franz.no.dom
Hi all,

On 03-Jul-98 Olivier A. D. Lebaillif wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I started to work on a device driver for DECStations to support the DZ
> chipset not too long ago. I reached a point in the development where I
> have a "working" base for my device driver but I would like to get
> inputs from other developers on what direction to take for the support
> of the DZ chipset.

Great!

> The DZ chipset is a serial "controller" that provides 4 lines which are
> used as follows on my DS3100 (and I guess on other models ?!?)
>
> line 0: keyboard
> line 1: mouse
> line 2: "modem"
> line 3: serial printer
>
> all these lines are configurable as plain serial lines with a baud rate
> up to 9600.  The "modem" line has some very limited support for a true
> modem since it incorporates a DTR and DSR lines.
>
> My questions are the following:
> - Does it make sense to provide support for 4 serial TTY's ? Since it
> complicates a lot the driver to manage lines that could be a TTY or a
> keyboard for example.

Well, that's a matter of taste but it may indeed make sense. Do you see a
chance to make this configurable?

> - How much modem support should be incorporated since the maximum speed
> is only 9600. I know I'll never plug a modem at the back of my DS3100.

IIRC the DS5000/200 can do 19200 baud. This machine seems to have a special
baud rate gernerator for that case. 19200 baud, on the other hand, isn't very
much for a 56k modem ;-).

> My point of view is, and it's only mine, that's why I am asking for help
> here :-)
>
> I don't think anybody will unplug their mouse or keyboard to plug a
> remote console instead (but I might be wrong).

If that will work, why not?
---
Regards,
Harald