Re: down(&sem)/scsi-timeout etc...

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: down(&sem)/scsi-timeout etc...
From: Florian Lohoff <flo@mini.gt.owl.de>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 12:48:51 +0200
On Wed, Jun 24, 1998 at 12:10:39AM +0200, Florian Lohoff wrote:

> Hi,
> without knowing what i am doing i got as far as inquireing the SCSI bus.
> Now it hangs in scsi.c in down(&sem) ...
> [...]
> What is this down ? I am not that used to semaphores etc ... might
> someone shed a light on me :) ...
> [...]

Took me some hours to read me into the kernel source. I think
nobody ever thought on documentation like "It was hard to write - so it
should be hard to read" ... I found down(&sem) to be a
function to give back control from the current thread/process to the
scheduler setting an "I am waiting for an signal" flag for
this process... Hmm ok ... found this ... but if i think correctly
an scsi command should time out after a while ... This doesnt
happen ... *weird* ...

Ok ... it was 4:00 this morning beeing ready to go home, will be
as late tonight :) Maybe ill try some console things first, no dma
etc ... might be easier (serial console) ... :)

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff          flo@mini.gt.owl.de              +49-5241-470566