Re: DECstation task force ... :)

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: DECstation task force ... :)
From: Richard van den Berg <R.vandenBerg@inter.NL.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 01:00:38 +0200 (MET DST)
Hi all,

On Mon, 22 Jun 1998, Florian Lohoff wrote:

> > the NetBSD pmax port ethernet driver. So at this moment I'm studying
> > sunlance.c which I call declance.c and am experimenting with it. Till
> > now I did little hacking on arch/mips/config.in, drivers/net/Makefile
> > and Space.c to accept declance.c and currently I'm at the point figuring
> > out how to initialize the controller. To be exact: make a start to fill
> > in the probe_dec_lance structure.
> >
> > Note 1: does anyone have an idea how much the machines differ? sunlance.c
> > uses some machine specific algorythms.
> >
> > Note 2: I have a DECstation 5000/25.
>
> Have a look at the news documentation on decstation.linux-ag.org. there
> is something on the IOASIC structures. Basically there is also
> a description on the TURBOChannel Ethernet Adapter PMA?-?? which should
> be the same as the onboard controller (Except the base_adr)

Already have a hardcopy of PMAD-AA TURBOchannel Ethernet Module
Functional Specification and will get the other ones too. I keep a
possible difference about DMA in mind too.

> BTW: The biggest difference i see between NetBSD and Linux are in
> the Interrupt handler for Decstation. NetBSD has many Machine specific
> things in it, (The kernel is specific to some Machine family e.g. 5000/1xx
> etc )
> and at the moment i am not able to fiddle out to
> use which interrupt for shich turbochannel option slot on which machine
> in linux ... I am a bit hopelessly lost.

Did you have a look at include/asm/dec/ioasic.h? Of course I think and
it resambles the sys/arch/pmax/pmax/asic.h file. ioasic.h in combination
with tc probing has to do the proper setup of base addresses and irq's,
I think at least but perhaps that might cause me a headache in figuring
out for the lance. :-) The irq stuff is indeed tricky.

> > Third weekend - july 18 and 19 - is no problem with me, the fourth weekend
> > I'll have to leave early sunday afternoon. Bright idea to do it at the
> > University! Leaves only a place to stay overnight.
>
> Sleeping bag .... What do i say ... Sleep ?

Now and then that phenomena tends to show up in me and if I don't get
any my humour tends to go really bad...

BTW, like your proposal too, am curious what Harald says to all this.

> I myself have a big stationary car :)

I have a small one :-) (am tall enough myself)

Regards,

Richard