Re: DECstation task force ... :)

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: DECstation task force ... :)
From: Florian Lohoff <flo@mini.gt.owl.de>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 19:48:06 +0200
On Mon, Jun 22, 1998 at 06:59:27PM +0200, Richard van den Berg wrote:
> > you may have noticed that I set up a todo list on decstation.unix-ag.org
> > which lists the tasks that (in Harald's and my opinion) need to be done to
> > get a working kernel. Additions, corrections etc. are welcome. Any
> > volunteers please drop me a line on what you'd like to do and I'll keep the
> > list updated in order to avoid replicated work.
>
> Nice changes, especially that DECstation picture. :-)

What about a collection of some pictures ? Inner and outer views ?

> with NetBSD. Going through kernel of both Linux and NetBSD I come across
> drivers/net/sunlance.c by Miguel de Icaza and it resambles the code for

NetBSD and Linux device drivers seem to have some very identical things in
them as i also discovered with the NCR53C9x.c and the sii.c (NetBSD)

> the NetBSD pmax port ethernet driver. So at this moment I'm studying
> sunlance.c which I call declance.c and am experimenting with it. Till
> now I did little hacking on arch/mips/config.in, drivers/net/Makefile
> and Space.c to accept declance.c and currently I'm at the point figuring
> out how to initialize the controller. To be exact: make a start to fill
> in the probe_dec_lance structure.
>
> Note 1: does anyone have an idea how much the machines differ? sunlance.c
> uses some machine specific algorythms.
>
> Note 2: I have a DECstation 5000/25.

Have a look at the news documentation on decstation.linux-ag.org. there
is something on the IOASIC structures. Basically there is also
a description on the TURBOChannel Ethernet Adapter PMA?-?? which should
be the same as the onboard controller (Except the base_adr)

BTW: The biggest difference i see between NetBSD and Linux are in
the Interrupt handler for Decstation. NetBSD has many Machine specific
things in it, (The kernel is specific to some Machine family e.g. 5000/1xx etc )
and at the moment i am not able to fiddle out to
use which interrupt for shich turbochannel option slot on which machine
in linux ... I am a bit hopelessly lost.

> > One more thing: should we try to set a date for the DECstation hacking
> > weekend (DEChack '98 :-)) ? I could try to convince our University to
> > give us a room, internet connectivity, free coffee :-) etc so we could
> > easily have the meeting in Siegen ... What about the third or fourth
> > weekend of July ?
>
> Third weekend - july 18 and 19 - is no problem with me, the fourth weekend
> I'll have to leave early sunday afternoon. Bright idea to do it at the
> University! Leaves only a place to stay overnight.

Sleeping bag .... What do i say ... Sleep ?

I myself have a big stationary car :)

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff          flo@mini.gt.owl.de              +49-5241-470566