Re: DECstation task force ... :)

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: DECstation task force ... :)
From: Florian Lohoff <flo@mini.gt.owl.de>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 14:43:30 +0200
On Sun, Jun 21, 1998 at 11:11:01PM +0200, Michael Engel wrote:

> Me once more ...
>
> you may have noticed that I set up a todo list on decstation.unix-ag.org
> which lists the tasks that (in Harald's and my opinion) need to be done to
> get a working kernel. Additions, corrections etc. are welcome. Any
> volunteers please drop me a line on what you'd like to do and I'll keep the
> list updated in order to avoid replicated work.

I did some work on the PMAZ-AA scsi tc card, which is from the
IOASIC docu the same as the onboard. That leads me to the thing
that we are not able to have a unified DMA thing working as the
PMAZ is only able to DMA to its on board buffers, not to main memory
if i understand the documentation right. At the moment i am stuck - i think
due to my little knowledge to the interrupt things going on on decstation.
I had a look at the NetBSD PMAZ-AA driver which gave me some interesting
points - (128K Buffer on the card split by scsi id to have uniqe DMA buffers
for every device etc ...) This driver will probably a good thing
for the hack meeting as someone will probably be able to point me to
some interrupt etc directions (Never done any kernel hacking before)

I am that far that the pmaz-aa driver correctly identifies the
NCR53C94 chip (uses the NCR53C9x.c) of all tc based PMAZ-AA cards. I think
if the tc scsi card only differs by base_adr i should be no problem
to probe for the IOASIC scsi controller.

BTW: If anyone likes to do some scsi driver hacking and has a TC slot.
I have 4 cards of the PMAZ-AA and may lend some ...

> One more thing: should we try to set a date for the DECstation hacking
> weekend (DEChack '98 :-)) ? I could try to convince our University to
> give us a room, internet connectivity, free coffee :-) etc so we could
> easily have the meeting in Siegen ... What about the third or fourth
> weekend of July ?

Would be great ... No problem with the date. BTW: if this doesnt work.
ill have some room with internet connectivity and infrastrukture at Guetersloh
(aprox. 2h from Siegen, half way between Hannover and Dortmund, near
Bielefeld.),
i think i'll have enough room for 4-5 people ( These are my Computer Rooms -
didnt want to have any more computers at home :) )

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff          flo@mini.gt.owl.de              +49-5241-470566