Re: DECstation task force ... :)

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: DECstation task force ... :)
From: Thomas Bogendoerfer <tsbogend@alpha.franken.de>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 00:00:29 +0200
On Sun, Jun 21, 1998 at 11:11:01PM +0200, Michael Engel wrote:
> I'm going to hack on the console support for the DZ-based systems now and
> try to get an idea how to apply the method used in the Sparc console
> driver (which also uses several different graphics and serial console types).

if this is a frame buffer don't waste your time looking at the Sparc stuff.
Go and get abscon from the VGER CVS tree and write a frame buffer device. It
took me about a day to redo the console of the magnum, which is now reliable,
colors are working as expected and it does the same hardware based scrolling
the VGA cards do (move origin instead of copying). And you can get a X server
at nearly no cost.

There is also an URL, where you can read about abscon.

    http://www.cs.kuleuven.ac.be/~geert/Console/

Thomas.

you have to be a sneaky bastard too ;-)