RE: tc hacking and more

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: RE: tc hacking and more
From: Richard van den Berg <R.vandenBerg@inter.NL.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 00:01:52 +0200 (MET DST)
Hi all

On Mon, 15 Jun 1998, Harald Koerfgen wrote:

> > Thank you very much for your bright and clear explanation. After
> > configuring and compiling the kernel with the appropiate settings to
> > boot from ram no kernel panic is shown. :-) Also with CONFIG_VT set goes
> > allright now. So officially to me Linux runs on the DECstation and that's
> > not to bad at all indeed!

Oops, on CONFIG_VT I'm a bit to soon, logically without a supported
console. Found out after trying to reproduce a booting kernel that
CONFIG_VT still should be left out.

> Yes, Richard, you're right. Although there is no real initialization, the code
> simply scans for installed TURBOchannel Option Modules and fills a data
> structure
> which might be of use for device driver writers.

One question on that part - little brainstorming - : does the on-board
lance ethernet controller differ from a TURBOchannel option module
considering base addresses? If not, the documentation for TURBOchannel
option module could be used for the on-board version too.

> I suggest code like (be warned! this is pure armchair engineering):

It's a start, I'll wait patiently for the patch.

Regards,

Richard