Re: DECstation kernel problems

Subject: Re: DECstation kernel problems
From: "Paul M. Antoine" <>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 1998 16:50:43 +1000
Hi folks,

It seems I spoke too soon when I said:

> It appears that my problem was a muddled make (I had been trying to
> use Ralf's compiler before switching to the one available on the
> DECstation page) and a 'make clean' fixed things for me.  My
> DECstation kernel now boots as previously advertised by Harald!

...except that it gets as far as:

  TURBOchannel rev. 1 at 12.5Mhz (no parity)
  2 slots, size 64MB
  Got dbe at 800dc1b4.
  Got dbe at 800dc210.
  Got dbe at 800dc1b4.
  Got dbe at 800dc210.
  Starting kswapd v 1.5
  Ramdisk driver initialized : 16 ramdisks of 4096K size
  EXT2-fs warning: checktime reached, running e2fsck is recommended
  VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).

...then nothing!  I don't get any of the messages about freeing memory,
or being unable to open initial console, or any of the page fault
output.  Any ideas Harald?

> So, Harald, what's on your priority list to work on next?  Can you
> suggest ways in which yourself, Michael and I can work in parallel on
> the most important tasks?  I'd love to have the DECstation booting a
> minimal set of tools off the ramdisk as soon as we can, and then
> there's self-hosting to look forward to!
> Regards,
> Paul

Paul M. Antoine,                                        Net:
Softway Pty Ltd                                         WWW:
PO Box 305, Strawberry Hills, NSW 2012, Australia       Tel: +61 2 9698
Level 2, 79 Myrtle St, Chippendale, NSW 2008, Australia Fax: +61 2 9699