Re: Hi, Linux on DECsystem 5100

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Hi, Linux on DECsystem 5100
From: engel@numerik.math.uni-siegen.de (Michael Engel)
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 1998 16:43:18 +0200 (MET DST)
Hi Paul,

great to hear from you !

> Michael Engel wrote:
>
> > > PS:   Anyone know where Paul M. Antoine, Who used to be
> > >       @ www.softway.com.au   went ?
> >
> > He still is supposed to be at softway, but I didn't hear from him in
> > the last few months. I'm afraid he's just very busy ...
>
> YES!!  I guess you all know how it goes with such things. Unfortunately
> we also had a corporate image change that meant I had to remove my
> DECstation pages, which has just made things worse, as it appears to
> some that I've dropped off the planet! :-)

What horrible things are happening Down Under ???

I should probably put up a notice on the web server that mentions
that you are still alive :-).

> Meanwhile, fortunately, Harald has taken up the role of de facto
> DECstation maintainer. I'm here, and I'm listening and sometimes
> hacking.  When Harald gets the latest 2.1.xx sources up, I'll try
> hacking some more.

2.1.99 is up along with a set of patched binutils-2.8.1 compiled for
Linux-i386/libc5. There is also a precompiled netbootable kernel image
at http://decstation.unix-ag.org/kernels/

I just got around to test 2.1.99 on my Personal DS 5k/25 with graphics
console. Something is still crashing the system while probing for
TurboChannel devices (in tc_probe), I'm not sure if the dbe
exception handler gets initialised correctly - it probably never gets called.
It might also be that the REX PROM routines return a wrong address for the
TC slots, I'll have to check that out.

When removing the TC probing, the kernel runs up to loading the initial
RAM disk which is - according to Harald - as far as it can run at the
moment. I'll send more details to Harald later, now I've got to get
my slides ready for my Linux lecture at University on Tuesday ...

regards,
        Michael Engel   (engel@unix-ag.uni-siegen.de)