Re: Hi, Linux on DECsystem 5100

To:, Radim HABALA <>
Subject: Re: Hi, Linux on DECsystem 5100
From: Harald Koerfgen <>
Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 11:56:53 +0200 (MEST)
Hi all,

On 29-May-98 Michael Engel wrote:
> Hi,
>>      Heck, I have looked most everywhere & the maintained page .
>> IE:  the Mips-FAQ page.
>>      The pointer to the Dec-Mips page is -gone- on the other end.
> I _think_ I sent mail to the maintainer of the fnet web pages and asked
> him to update the link, but I didn't check it :-( ...  Please use
>>      But down below is a pointer to an ftp-site that is still
>>      there, but it is at best a year old .  This contains
>>      bootable (probably -very- alpha-test) images for dec-mips.
>>      Which I have not tried out.
> This is unfortunately all you can get by now  - the kernel is still in
> highly experimental stages ...
>> PS:  Anyone know where Paul M. Antoine, Who used to be
>>      @   went ?
> He still is supposed to be at softway, but I didn't hear from him in the
> last few months. I'm afraid he's just very busy ...
>>      Or failing that Who may be the present linux-decmips
>>      maintainer ?
> Well, noone is really elected to be the maintainer. I'm maintaining the
> web pages but have had a severe lack of time in the last two or three
> months. This is getting better now, though :) ! There are only a few people
> working on the port at the moment, most notably Harald Koerfgen who managed
> to get the kernel revision up to 2.1.73 and boot into single-user root
> shell from a ram disk, IIRC.

Well, I wish it would but the kernel dies before executing /bin/sh :-(. Anyway,
DECstation-Linux-2.1.99 with a few minor enhancements is going to be released

The DECsystem 5100 is even less documented than the other DECstations. Stu Allen
<> has managed to bring the periodic interrupts to work on
DS5100 and I have tried to support 5100 machines as far as possible.

Radim, when 2.1.99 is out, please give it a try and send me the results. If you
further questions feel free to ask me.

> regards,
>       Michael Engel   (

Stay tuned.