RE: linux on PERSONAL DECstation5000/33

To: Kristoff Bonne <>
Subject: RE: linux on PERSONAL DECstation5000/33
From: Harald Koerfgen <>
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 20:09:12 +0200 (MEST)

On 19-May-98 Kristoff Bonne wrote:
> Gegroet,
>> > It is clear that the kernels are in a different format. (I guess the
>> > *BSD-kernels are a.out, or is that still another format).
>> I have never done anything with *BSD and I don't know how the *BSD booting
>> process works. What I do know is that there is a program "elf2ecoff" in the
>> *BSD distribution, I have done some experiments with this but had no sucess
>> in
>> converting an ELF Kernel Image into something that the DEC PROM accepts.
> OK, but what is the 'normal' boot-process for linux/mips for a personal
> decstation 5000/33?
> Is it possible to boot from a disk, or do we mandatory need a
> TFTP-boot-server?
> (a bit of a  'stupid' thing a most of the decstatiosn don't seem to boot over
> TFTP ;-) )

Actually DECstation-Linux is far from beeing productive. We are still in a
process and booting Linux from disk is still on the todo list. In fact, I am
happy that I found a way to boot the newer kernels via tftp :-).

> Should it help if I where to place a ultrix-boot on the disk?

Well, that's a difficult question to answer. I do know nothing about the *BSD
booting process, all I know is that booting from an Ultrix disk via ultrixboot
work. It may worth a try to prepare an Ultrix disk with Ultrix boot sectors and
this way. Booting linux via tftp, on the orther hand, is indeed the 'normal'

> Many thanks and
> Cheerio! Kr. Bonne.

I'm sorry that I cannot help you more. If you really want to boot from disk, you
would do a lot of people a favour (and yourself, of course :-)), if do have a
look in the way how the DECstation PROM is loading boot sectors, and if it
would be
possible to boot from an ext2fs disk :-).