RE: linux on PERSONAL DECstation5000/33

To: harald.koerfgen@netcologne.de
Subject: RE: linux on PERSONAL DECstation5000/33
From: Kristoff Bonne <kristoff.bonne@belbone.net>
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 17:05:38 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Gegroet,

> Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 18:56:23 +0200 (MEST)
> From: Harald Koerfgen <harald.koerfgen@netcologne.de>
> To: Kristoff Bonne <kristoff.bonne@belbone.net>
> Subject: RE: linux on PERSONAL DECstation5000/33

> > It is clear that the kernels are in a different format. (I guess the
> > *BSD-kernels are a.out, or is that still another format).

> I have never done anything with *BSD and I don't know how the *BSD booting
> process works. What I do know is that there is a program "elf2ecoff" in the
> *BSD distribution, I have done some experiments with this but had no sucess in
> converting an ELF Kernel Image into something that the DEC PROM accepts.

OK, but what is the 'normal' boot-process for linux/mips for a personal
decstation 5000/33?
Is it possible to boot from a disk, or do we mandatory need a TFTP-boot-server?
(a bit of a  'stupid' thing a most of the decstatiosn don't seem to boot over
TFTP ;-) )

Should it help if I where to place a ultrix-boot on the disk?

Many thanks and
Cheerio! Kr. Bonne.
--
Bonne Kristoff                              belgacom multimedia
(C=BE,A=RTT,P=RTTIPC,S=BONNE,G=Kristoff)    operations belbone