RE: linux on PERSONAL DECstation5000/33

To: harald.koerfgen@netcologne.de
Subject: RE: linux on PERSONAL DECstation5000/33
From: Kristoff Bonne <kristoff.bonne@belbone.net>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 13:07:03 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Gegroet,

> Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 20:36:08 +0200 (MEST)
> From: Harald Koerfgen <harald.koerfgen@netcologne.de>
> To: Kristoff Bonne <kristoff.bonne@belbone.net>
> Subject: RE: linux on PERSONAL DECstation5000/33
> Cc: linux-mips@fnet.fr

>> Can't it be because of some part of the 'disklabel' code of the netbsd 1.2.
>> (you know the 'bootrz' and 'rzboot'-files?)
>
> Without having a chance to test this, I'd guess you're right. The method you
> described does work with ultrixboot indeed, but I don't have any idea if this
> would work with with the NetBSD startup process. If I were you, I'd either
> play around with arch/mips/dec/boot/ld.ecoff to build an ELF Kernel and use
> NetBSD's elf2ecoff, or set up an tftpd on anouther machine.

The command 'file /netbsd' (on my netbsd-box) or 'file /bsd' (on my openbsd)
both give the same result:
'OpenBSD/pmax executable not stripped' and 'NetBSD/pmax executable not
stripped'.

But, when I do a 'file /etc/vmlinux' I get
'MIPSEL-LE COFF executable (impure) version 0.0'.

It is clear that the kernels are in a different format. (I guess the
*BSD-kernels are a.out, or is that still another format).

So, how do I go from ECOFF to a.out?
(I'll start with the software archives for netBSD and OpenBSD to find something
overthere!)

> I can assure you, that booting via tftp works with DECstation-Linux-2.1.73,
> at
> least on those DECstations without buggy PROMS :-).

The problem is it turns out mine has buggy PROM, it dont' get pasts the bootp
(it doesn't even try the TFTP).
I've been monitoring the LAN using 'tcpdump' on another linux-box. The
BOOTP-server on the linux-box does reply OK, but the decstation does not seam
do anything with it.

Cheerio! Kr. Bonne.
--
Bonne Kristoff                              belgacom multimedia
(C=BE,A=RTT,P=RTTIPC,S=BONNE,G=Kristoff)    operations belbone