RE: linux on PERSONAL DECstation5000/33

To: Kristoff Bonne <kristoff.bonne@belbone.net>
Subject: RE: linux on PERSONAL DECstation5000/33
From: Harald Koerfgen <harald.koerfgen@netcologne.de>
Date: Sat, 09 May 1998 17:48:03 +0200 (MEST)
Cc: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Sender: harry@franz.no.dom
Hello Kristoff,

On 07-May-98 Kristoff Bonne wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I've tried booting a linux-kernel on my personal DECstation 5000/33, but it
> failed.
> What I did was this:
> - I FTPed the binary image of the 2.1.14pl2 kernel from
> http://decstation.unix-ag.org/kernels/
> - copied it onto the rz-25 drive of my DS5000 (currently running NetBSD 1.2),
> and called it 'vmlinux'
> - did a 'halt' and 'boot 3/rz4/vmlinux'.
> - I got the following messages:
> 3/rz4/vmlinux: bad magic 40162
> Can't boot '3/rz4/vmlinux'
>

> Is this because I copied the file onto my disk (and hence don't use TFTP)

No, this method works with proper kernel images. I am using this to test
kernels on
my DS 5000/240, which doesn't boot via tftp. I guess there is something wrong
with
the binary image, maybe still zipped?

No, not yet. The Documentation on http://decstation.unix-ag.org is all we have.

> (I have a sun sitting just next to my dec-station. What's the fasted way to
> set
> up a bootp and tftp on a sun running solaris 2.6)

I'm afraid I am not able to help you with this.

> Cheerio! Kr. Bonne.
> --
> Bonne Kristoff                              belgacom multimedia
> (C=BE,A=RTT,P=RTTIPC,S=BONNE,G=Kristoff)    operations belbone
> Kristoff.bonne@belbone.net                  fax: +32 2 2024123

---
Regards,
Harald