linux on PERSONAL DECstation5000/33

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: linux on PERSONAL DECstation5000/33
From: Kristoff Bonne <kristoff.bonne@belbone.net>
Date: Thu, 7 May 1998 13:44:46 +0200 (MET DST)
Greetings,

I've tried booting a linux-kernel on my personal DECstation 5000/33, but it
failed.
What I did was this:
- I FTPed the binary image of the 2.1.14pl2 kernel from
http://decstation.unix-ag.org/kernels/
- copied it onto the rz-25 drive of my DS5000 (currently running NetBSD 1.2),
and called it 'vmlinux'
- did a 'halt' and 'boot 3/rz4/vmlinux'.
- I got the following messages:
3/rz4/vmlinux: bad magic 40162
Can't boot '3/rz4/vmlinux'

Is this because I copied the file onto my disk (and hence don't use TFTP)
Is there somewhere a 'HOWTO' on how to start with linux/MIPS?

(I have a sun sitting just next to my dec-station. What's the fasted way to set
up a bootp and tftp on a sun running solaris 2.6)

Cheerio! Kr. Bonne.
--
Bonne Kristoff                              belgacom multimedia
(C=BE,A=RTT,P=RTTIPC,S=BONNE,G=Kristoff)    operations belbone