Re: Magnum 4000PC

Subject: Re: Magnum 4000PC
From: Richard Ingram <>
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 16:01:30 +0100
> The WIN32 stuff in binutils isn't easy to make work on MIPS.  Let alone
> something gcc.  So that's going to be real fun if somebody really want to
> support the dark side's stuff.

I see no reason to even try this - except for the technical challenge of

> SC CPUs still aren't supported but the basic framework to fix the SC problems
> is now in the kernel.  And without benchmarking I dare to say it's faster
> RISC/os.  Most important, several satisfied customers ...

Thats good news, and I hope to be one of these customers soon.... after getting
my Sun3 setup with the latest NetBSD.

> Won't be hard to support (E)ISA gfx cards as replacement, btw.

Now that is interesting, I recall a discussion about this a while back either
here or on comp.sys.mips. So how would it work - can't remember what the
outcome was. I have no technical docs on the 4000 series Magnums - though have
the origional tech docs for the R3000 Magnums (which I also have one of).