Re: Magnum 4000PC

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Magnum 4000PC
From: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 15:56:38 +0200
Cc: hubbardj@earthlink.net
On Tue, May 05, 1998 at 02:13:07PM +0100, Richard Ingram wrote:

> then development under Mips/NT would be nigh on impossable - unless someone
> had
> GCC etc under NT ported ??

The WIN32 stuff in binutils isn't easy to make work on MIPS.  Let alone
something gcc.  So that's going to be real fun if somebody really want to
support the dark side's stuff.

> I have not done any of this yet even though I have a 4000PC and SC. I just
> need
> to get the memory now prices are reasonable
>
> Q to other people, what is the status of Magnum Linux now ??

Onboard SCSI and Ethernet working and apparently stable enough to make the
bug in the generic code the limiting factor.  No nice installer, X.  SC CPUs
still aren't supported but the basic framework to fix the SC problems is
now in the kernel.  And without benchmarking I dare to say it's faster than
RISC/os.  Most important, several satisfied customers ...

Btw, has anybody tested if a Magnum without gfx card but configured to use
it will be smart enough to somehow answer on the serial if?  Otherwise I see
real trouble for the guys without gfx card.

Won't be hard to support (E)ISA gfx cards as replacement, btw.