Re: Magnum 4000PC

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Magnum 4000PC
From: Richard Ingram <rji@bristol.st.com>
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 14:13:07 +0100
Cc: hubbardj@earthlink.net
> Subject: Magnum 4000PC
>
>   I'll apologize in advance if I'm directing this to the wrong place, but
this > was the only reference to the Magnum I could find.  I recently found one
lying > around and I basically know nothing about it other than that it has the
video > card, sound card, and  the little card with the serial and parallel
ports on
> it.  It seem like a neat machine, but I need to put a hard drive, power
> supply, and memory in it, as well as find a monitor for it.  Can you tell me
> anything about what I can do with this, or where I can find more info?

OK, most important thing is it has a video card! OK to get it working you need
to populate the first 4 SIMM slots with true parity SIMMs, I would recomend 8MB
simms as prices are pretty reasonable. Next get hold of a SCSI disk a SCSI
CD-ROM and 3.5 inch disk for OS installation purposes. For a monitor any
Multi-Sync should do.

You have 2 choices OS wise, NT or Linux. Maybe getting NT up and running would
prove that the machine is working. You could then get to installing Linux. I
recommend getting to Linux as quick as possible. Unless you have MSC++ for Mips
then development under Mips/NT would be nigh on impossable - unless someone had
GCC etc under NT ported ??

I have not done any of this yet even though I have a 4000PC and SC. I just need
to get the memory now prices are reasonable

Q to other people, what is the status of Magnum Linux now ??

Hope this helps, any more Q's e-mail me and I will see what I can do.

Richard.