Re: EGCS on MIPS

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: EGCS on MIPS
From: Dominic Sweetman <dom@algor.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 1998 10:08:10 +0100 (BST)
Cc: linux-mips@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Olivier Galibert (galibert@pobox.com) writes:

> On Sat, Apr 04, 1998 at 12:05:54PM +0200, ralf@uni-koblenz.de wrote:
> > people keep asking me about egcs / gcc 2.8.x for Linux/MIPS.  Before I
> > even attempt to work on that I'd like to know if anybody has attempted
> > to use one of these compilers on IRIX or another MIPS operating system.

Algorithmics have just changed to EGCS for our cross-compiler toolkit
we sell and support.  There's lots of useful technology, and for our
purposes (wanting to track lots of different MIPS CPUs) the EGCS
approach is better than standard GNU C caution.

It's possible that Linux would be better served by the more steady
approach favoured by Richard Stallman, but then that's why 2.8 has
been such a long time coming.

> A bad point for linux/mips is that the generated code is n32/64.

Firstly, that's an option; the EGCS compiler supports many options,
including Linux' current standard (best called o32, probably,
following SGI standards.)

Secondly, maybe that's a good thing; at a meeting at MIPS embedded
compiler suppliers agreed informally that we should offer n32 as a new
standard for demanding applications.  You may like to think about
migrating Linux/MIPS to something other than o32/ECOFF.

Dominic Sweetman
dom@algor.co.uk