Re: Problems booting Haralds Kernel

To: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Subject: Re: Problems booting Haralds Kernel
From: Harald Koerfgen <harald.koerfgen@netcologne.de>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 16:39:59 +0100 (MET)
Cc: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Sender: harry@franz.netcologne.de
Hi Ralf,

On 24-Mar-98 ralf@uni-koblenz.de wrote:

> Harald, I removed the support for a.out targets because I didn't see any
> point in carrying it around anymore.  Is using a.out just a temporary
> hack or do you wish to revive a.out in the standard binutils sources
> which I'm distributing?

Using a.out _is_ a temporary hack until we have a disk bootloader up and
running.
IMHO there is no need to revive a.out.

> I think I should warn you about that crossformat linking is very broken
> and fixing all the problem cases is that tough that some people at Cygnus
> don't want to fix it if you threaten them by weapon force.  In short, the
> best is to leave things as they are.  Link ELF -> ELF only and use some
> simple converter like mkboot or the one in the Milo sources to generate
> a.out / ECOFF binaries.

Oops, looks like I'm lucky not having encountered any problems so far :-). After
making some experiments with elf2ecoff without success, linking the a.out Image
which mkboot builds with some startup code seemed to be the easiest solution to
me.
Anyway, this will become superfluid when we have a real bootloader (tm).

> Btw, reading the code to switch context on R2000 / R3000 machines I found
> that it is completly broken.  I fixed parts of it but I doubt that it is
> working correctly.

cvs commit?

---
regards,