Re: Problems booting Haralds Kernel

To: Harald Koerfgen <harald.koerfgen@netcologne.de>
Subject: Re: Problems booting Haralds Kernel
From: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 17:25:09 +0100
Cc: linux-mips@fnet.fr, Matt Foster <Matt.Foster@diverseylever.com>
On Tue, Mar 24, 1998 at 05:07:48PM +0100, Harald Koerfgen wrote:

> Been there, done that :-). You _do_ need the 2.8.1 binutils _with_ support
> for the
> "a.out-mips-little" format. This is _not_ build in by default for the
> mips*-linux
> target, you have to edit "binutils-2.8.1/bfd/config.bfd" before building the
> binutils. When your setup is correct, type "make netboot" instead of "make
> vmlinux"
> and you will find a netbootable ECOFF image in "linux/arch/mips/dec/boot"
> with the
> name "nbImage".

Harald, I removed the support for a.out targets because I didn't see any
point in carrying it around anymore.  Is using a.out just a temporary
hack or do you wish to revive a.out in the standard binutils sources
which I'm distributing?

I think I should warn you about that crossformat linking is very broken
and fixing all the problem cases is that tough that some people at Cygnus
don't want to fix it if you threaten them by weapon force.  In short, the
best is to leave things as they are.  Link ELF -> ELF only and use some
simple converter like mkboot or the one in the Milo sources to generate
a.out / ECOFF binaries.

Btw, reading the code to switch context on R2000 / R3000 machines I found
that it is completly broken.  I fixed parts of it but I doubt that it is
working correctly.