Re: Problems booting Haralds Kernel

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Problems booting Haralds Kernel
From: Harald Koerfgen <harald.koerfgen@netcologne.de>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 17:07:48 +0100 (MET)
Cc: Matt Foster <Matt.Foster@diverseylever.com>
Sender: harry@franz.netcologne.de
Hello all,

On 24-Mar-98 ralf@uni-koblenz.de wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 24, 1998 at 01:25:10PM +0100, Matt Foster wrote:
>
>> I've got Haralds kernel compiled, and done the
>> objcopy --remove-section=.reginfo .... (.mdebug .fixup __ex_tab)
>>
>> (without doing this, it give IO timeouts)

Matt, what kernel do you use? As of linux-2.1.73 removing any sections from the
kernel image is no longer needed. Maybe I should have pointed this out more
clearly
while announcing the 2.1.73 kernel.

> Removing any of the sections except .reginfo is completly broken.  You
> are removing vital kernel information.  If the DECstation loader
> is really too dumb to deal with those sections you might try creating
> a linker script that joins .fixup and __ex_tab at the end of .data or
> so.
>
>   Ralf

Been there, done that :-). You _do_ need the 2.8.1 binutils _with_ support for
the
"a.out-mips-little" format. This is _not_ build in by default for the
mips*-linux
target, you have to edit "binutils-2.8.1/bfd/config.bfd" before building the
binutils. When your setup is correct, type "make netboot" instead of "make
vmlinux"
and you will find a netbootable ECOFF image in "linux/arch/mips/dec/boot" with
the
name "nbImage".

Keep hacking :-).

---