Re: yet another DECstation kernel

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: yet another DECstation kernel
From: tor@spacetec.no (Tor Arntsen)
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 19:37:40 +0100
On Feb 10, 17:46, Warner Losh wrote:
>In message <199802100746.AA26653@mailfw1.ford.com> Harald Koerfgen writes:
>: Thanks for the offer, this is definitely needed. On the other hand, I am
>: doing the work on the DECstation port in my free time at home and I
>: don't think that handling a remote CVS repository through a 33k modem
>: sounds like fun. Michael, do you see a chance to handle this?
>
>Hmmm, I've had little to no problems handing a moderately sized CVS
>tree over a 33.6 modem.  It isn't too bad since CVS just sends the
>diffs in most cases.

I agree. I'm getting the XEmacs sources over CVS, and apart from the
initial checkout the updates are no problem. Use cvs -z9 at all times
and it's not bad at all (you then get compressed diffs).  I'm on 64kbit
and not 33 though, but XEmacs isn't exactly small and there's a lot
of activity.  Remote CVS is a fine thing, even over a slow link.
In fact, if I could get this laptop here to work as I want it then
the first thing I would do is to work with a remote 200 MB repository
over a 9.6 modem!  I expect no problems, I just have to get the initial
checkout done by other means first.

Tor