Re: yet another DECstation kernel

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: yet another DECstation kernel
From: Harald Koerfgen <hkoerfg1@ford.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 08:45:38 +0100
Hi all,

ralf@uni-koblenz.de wrote:

> Guys, you're seriously back in history by basing your work on 2.1.14.

Yes, you're right. I just wanted to come to the "unable to mount root"
message to learn what has to be done before upgrading. After this is
done, I already have started to reintegrate the DECstation stuff into
Linux/MIPS-2.1.72. I hope that's ok.

> I suggest to upgrade to Linux/MIPS latest and offer an account with
> CVS access for doing so.

Thanks for the offer, this is definitely needed. On the other hand, I am
doing the work on the DECstation port in my free time at home and I
don't think that handling a remote CVS repository through a 33k modem
sounds like fun. Michael, do you see a chance to handle this?

> Why?  The MIPS code has dramatically improoved
> since 2.1.14.  Yes, there is even a commercial product based on a
> backport of 2.1.56 back to 2.0.30 because the generic, _not_ the MIPS
> code was limiting the kernel stability.  Use that advantage.  Aside
> maintenance and staying uptodate with my / Linus' releases will be
> a lot easier for you.  And finally the DECstations sources in the
> ``official'' tree will become more meaningful that ``stubs'' that I've
> recently deleted.  Oh, and I'm under contract for a company to do the
> R3000 stuff, so by using the CVS you're going to get that stuff for free.

I totally agree, this would avoid duplication of work. There is a
reasonable amount of R3000 specific stuff already working :-).

regards,
Harald