Re: yet another DECstation kernel

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: yet another DECstation kernel
From: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 1998 21:54:50 +0100
On Mon, Feb 09, 1998 at 01:10:22PM +0100, Florian Lohoff wrote:

> > ... the patch, a patched kernel source tree and a binary image are now
> > also available on http://decstation.unix-ag.org
>
> What about introducing a Patch level like in the m68k development
> something like 2.1.14pl3 etc ... because i see a little bit chaos in
> the patches ( haralds patches, haralds recent patches) etc ... :)

Guys, you're seriously back in history by basing your work on 2.1.14.
I suggest to upgrade to Linux/MIPS latest and offer an account with
CVS access for doing so.  Why?  The MIPS code has dramatically improoved
since 2.1.14.  Yes, there is even a commercial product based on a
backport of 2.1.56 back to 2.0.30 because the generic, _not_ the MIPS
code was limiting the kernel stability.  Use that advantage.  Aside
maintenance and staying uptodate with my / Linus' releases will be
a lot easier for you.  And finally the DECstations sources in the
``official'' tree will become more meaningful that ``stubs'' that I've
recently deleted.  Oh, and I'm under contract for a company to do the
R3000 stuff, so by using the CVS you're going to get that stuff for free.