Re: yet another DECstation kernel

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: yet another DECstation kernel
From: Stu Allen <stu@cinops.xerox.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 1998 14:24:19 -0500 (EST)
Harald Koerfgen wrote:

> Fellow DECstation hackers,
>
> I have totally reworked the dec_irq_setup and int-handler.S and (hopefully)
> the
> periodic interrupts should now work on all DECstations. As usual a patch
> against Pauls linux-2.14.2.dec source tree can be downloaded from:
>
>         http://www.netcologne.de/~nc-koerfgha
>
> I could test this only on a 5000/133 and a 5000/240, so please give it a try
> and
> send the results (and patches, if any) either to me or to the list.

Well, I'm officially bummed.  My hopes were really up with the note about
"periodic interrupts", but for naught.

I tried the patch on my little DECsystem 5100, and here are the results:

1)  The memory sizing routine is broken on this box.  (You get a stack dump).
This isn't from the latest patch, but I needed to fix this in order to boot.)
I ended up having to hard-code my memory size, just as I did in Paul's last
tree.  This _may_ be related to #3 below.

2)  The 5100 returns "0" for the console environment variable, so I had to
modify the console detection code (easy change).  I see that a new patch for
this code was just posted; I'll have to take a look at that.

3)  The kernel gets as far as "Calculating delay loop" and then it sits
forever.  I think what is happening is that the timer interrupt isn't.  Sound
logical?

So I get as far as I did with Paul's last tree, but no further.  Any hints on
what I might look at?  I'm assuming that the interrupt vectors aren't being
set up right, or maybe the interrupts aren't being enabled?

Thanks!

        Stu

--
Stu Allen             Phone: (716) 231-0073
EDS / GNS             Internet: stu@cinops.xerox.com