Re: yet another DECstation kernel

Subject: Re: yet another DECstation kernel
From: Harald Koerfgen <>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 1998 09:39:45 +0100
Stuart Auchterlonie wrote:
> Hello,
>         I've been testing out these kernels as they pop out and I
> must say it's good to see something happening again.

> Now onto the problem I have.
> Testing is on a Personal 5000/20 btw.
> With Paul's 2.1.14 (from whenever he last released it) when the
> system boot goes through the console detection phase I get.
> -Registering Console.
> -Got the following for the osconsole env variable: 3,3
> and the system merrily continues on till it runs out of things that
> have been written.
> With the lastest test kernel (and the previous one) I get
> -Got the following for the console env. variable: 1
> And then complains it doesn't know what it should talk to and
> I see no further messages.
> So what got changed in the console detection between paul's latest and
> the most recent version ???

Well, this is my fault, I'm afraid. I am hacking a DECstation 5000/133
with serial console set. To keep the console detection code happy I
changed prom_getenv("osconsole") to prom_getenv("console") in
decststation.c. As a quick fix just change this back to
prom_getenv("osconsole"). I'll have a deeper look into that this