Re: strange problem with my oli M700

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: strange problem with my oli M700
From: Andrew Dyer <adyer@Mcs.Net>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 08:08:31 -0600 (CST)
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Thu, 29 Jan 1998, Thomas Bogendoerfer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to read the firmware prom of my Olivetti M700 (Magnum 4000 clone).
> When access the address 0x9fc00000 (which is the KSEG0 address of the prom)
> the box freezes immidiately. Does anybody know why ? And how could I access
> the prom otherwise ?

Accesses through kseg0 generate burst reads on the CPU bus.  If the memory
controller doesn't support it for that region of memory, the system could
hang.  Since the system reset vector is in kseg1 (ie 0xbfc00000), accesses
through that region have to work, or the machine wouldn't boot.

| Andrew Dyer                       <adyer@midway.com> or <adyer@mcs.net>     |
| Sr. Design Engineer               (773) 961-1751                            |
| Midway Games, Inc.                (773) 961-1890 (fax)                      |
| 2727 W. Roscoe Ave., Chicago, IL 60618                                      |