Re: Linux/MIPS on a PDA?

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Linux/MIPS on a PDA?
From: Dominic Sweetman <dom@algor.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 08:40:50 GMT
Erik Walthinsen (Omega) (omega@omegacs.net) writes:

> I've been searching through numerous sites searching for a decent PDA to
> get.  I am in *desperate* need of one, but that's another story.
>
> While scanning M$'s CE site for info, I found that it runs on the MIPS
> R3910 and R4000 chips, as well as the Hitachi SH-3.  What I'm wondering is
> if it'd be somehow possible to construct a Linux ROM for one of these
> devices.  I *really* want to do this if it's possible, which it seems to
> be.

Windows CE for MIPS requires memory management, which is good.  None
of the PDA processors don't have floating point hardware, which could
be bad.  NEC's CPUs are R4x00 (64-bit MIPS) and the Toshiba/Phillips
are R3000-derivatives (32-bits); Linux is likely to be more familiar
with the R4x00, but the differences are pretty localised.

And of course you've got to persuade Linux to run with whatever puny
memory they have - perhaps 8Mbyte of flash + 8Mbyte of RAM and no
disk.

Good luck, and I think you'll need it.

[And in my opinion, PDA's are useless without a usable input device,
 and tiny keyboards are useless.  So I'm waiting and watching pens
 and voice, and if necessary prepared to wait a long time.  But
 you don't have to agree...]

Dominic Sweetman
Algorithmics Ltd
dom@algor.co.uk