Linux/MIPS on a PDA?

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Linux/MIPS on a PDA?
From: "Erik Walthinsen (Omega)" <omega@omegacs.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 23:39:27 -0800 (PST)
I've been searching through numerous sites searching for a decent PDA to
get.  I am in *desperate* need of one, but that's another story.

While scanning M$'s CE site for info, I found that it runs on the MIPS
R3910 and R4000 chips, as well as the Hitachi SH-3.  What I'm wondering is
if it'd be somehow possible to construct a Linux ROM for one of these
devices.  I *really* want to do this if it's possible, which it seems to
be.

The apparent top-of-the-line PDA is the HP620LX, which is stated to be
built around a "High Performance 32-bit RISC Processor Running at 75 MHz".
I don't know much about the Hitachi and MIPS chips, but does this sound
like a MIPS?

The advantage to this device is that it has most of the features I'd want,
including color, PCMCIA, IrDA, serial, audio, and a color screen.  It also
has 16MB of RAM and 10MB of *user replaceable* ROM.  That means that I
could theoretically construct a Linux system for my needs, burn it to a
ROM, and use it.

Anyway, is what I'm thinking even remotely possible?  If so, let me know
and I'll make sure I get a PDA with the right processor.  I want to be
using Windoze CE as little as possible...

TIA,
   Omega

     Erik Walthinsen <omega@seul.org> - SEUL Project system architect
        __
       /  \                SEUL: Simple End-User Linux -
      |    | M E G A            Creating a Linux distribution
      _\  /_                         for the home or office user