Re: DECstation porters unite !

To: Amit Margalit <amitm@amitpc.iso.dec.com>
Subject: Re: DECstation porters unite !
From: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 21:55:56 +0100
Cc: linux-mips@fnet.fr
On Mon, Jan 19, 1998 at 02:05:02PM +0200, Amit Margalit wrote:

> On 18-Jan-98 ralf@uni-koblenz.de wrote:
> > Yes. Documentation btw, is available for tree from Symbios
>
> Where do I send my tree? (Just kidding, it's a wonderful typo!)

Actually, if you knock me gently with that tree I might get a bit a longer
nap than last night ;-)

> > There is a 80% port of Redhat which you can use to get started, so
> > rebuilding Debian shouldn't be too hard.  Especially the part of Debian
> > that in earlier times were preventing an easy start are now existing.
>
> Do you mean an 80% working RedHat MIPS that works on DECstations???

With the neglegtible exception of the the apropriate kernel, yes.  My
little endian boxes are selfhosting since months.  Actually the
situation is even better than 80%, we've got a compliet set of X
clients.  My installation is about 660mb, that's a hell lot of toys.