Re: DECstation porters unite !

To: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Subject: Re: DECstation porters unite !
From: Amit Margalit <amitm@amitpc.iso.dec.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 14:05:02 +0200 (IST)
Cc: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Sender: amitm@amitpc.iso.dec.com
Hi!

On 18-Jan-98 ralf@uni-koblenz.de wrote:
> Yes. Documentation btw, is available for tree from Symbios

Where do I send my tree? (Just kidding, it's a wonderful typo!)

> Tss, tss...  I wonder if the DECstation is fast enough to keep the FDDI
> hardware busy ...

I bet a R4000 DS5000/150 at 50MHz would be fast enough, if totally
dedicated.

>> BTW: I have now a running OpenBSD/pmax on 5000/240 and an running
>> NetBSD-1.3_BETA/pmax on the 5000/150 but i'd like to have an
>> Debian GNU Linux Mips.

Why aren't we stealing some code just to see how it's done?

> There is a 80% port of Redhat which you can use to get started, so
> rebuilding Debian shouldn't be too hard.  Especially the part of Debian
> that in earlier times were preventing an easy start are now existing.

Do you mean an 80% working RedHat MIPS that works on DECstations???

        Amit.

#include <Legal/std_disclaim.h>
When was the last time you saw a room of people cheer a group
of computer science theorists for their significant practical
contribution to advancing human knowledge?