Re: Latest 2.1.14 sources ???

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Latest 2.1.14 sources ???
From: Stu Allen <stu@cinops.xerox.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 22:59:59 -0500 (EST)
> does anyone have the latest sources for the 2.1.14 kernel ? I didn't
> succeed in getting the kernel compiled from linux-2.1.14.2.dec.tar.gz
> to work at all. They all crash immediately after loading without any
> reason ...
>
> I also noticed that kernels compiled and linked with the 2.7-based utils
> are _much_ bigger than the test kernels (>2 MB compared to ca. 800kB), so
> I suspect it to be a compiler/linker problem.

Did you run objcopy and strip out the unneeded information from the kernel
image?  i.e.:

mipsel-linux-objcopy --remove-section=.reginfo --remove-section=.mdebug \
        --remove-section=.fixup --remove-section=__ex_tab dec_vmlinux

For me at least, this takes a kernel image which is about 1.5 meg and reduces
it to a little under a meg.  The resulting image also boots, at least to some
extent!

I'm pretty sure that Paul was the one who told me that I needed to do this --
I'll look for his original message, which I believe explains _why_ you need to
do it.

--
Stu Allen             Phone: (716) 231-0073
EDS / GNS             Internet: stu@cinops.xerox.com