Re: Latest 2.1.14 sources ???

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Latest 2.1.14 sources ???
From: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 01:55:58 +0100
On Sun, Jan 18, 1998 at 09:26:54PM +0100, Michael Engel wrote:

> does anyone have the latest sources for the 2.1.14 kernel ? I didn't
> succeed in getting the kernel compiled from linux-2.1.14.2.dec.tar.gz
> to work at all. They all crash immediately after loading without any
> reason ...
>
> The kernel test images, however, work - as well as self-compiled 2.1.1
> kernels. My development environment here uses the mipsel-linux files
> from ftp.fnet.fr (gcc-2.7.2, as-2.7, ld-2.7) whereas Paul had compiled
> his test kernels with gcc-2.6.3. Might that be the problem ?
>
> I also noticed that kernels compiled and linked with the 2.7-based utils
> are _much_ bigger than the test kernels (>2 MB compared to ca. 800kB), so
> I suspect it to be a compiler/linker problem.

I recommend to use at least version 2.7.  2.6.3 has couple of fun bugs
when building kernels.  For all those who don't remember, I've published
2.8.1 patches months ago, but 2.7 is still ok for just building the
kernel.  For the userland 2.8.1 is a must; 2.7 will build bad shared
libraries.

Another problem with newer kernel is that the building strategy Paul
uses to build ECOFF kernel will not work anymore for 2.1.x kernels.  The
kernel uses a number of ELF features - too many for ld.  It will die
with funny messages.  Suggested alternative strategy: build an ELF kernel
like all other systems do and convert it into ECOFF using the
ELF -> ECOFF converter program from the Milo sources.  That's will be
a quite robust solution.