Re: DECstation porters unite !

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: DECstation porters unite !
From: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 18:43:47 +0100
On Sun, Jan 18, 1998 at 01:25:01PM +0100, Michael Engel wrote:

> due to the overwhelming amount of requests regardings the DECstation port
> during the last few weeks ;-), we should do something to get the port further
> along.
>
> I will set up a mirror site of Paul's DECstation information pages on Monday
> and would like to ask all people who have DECstation patches to upload the
> patches to ftp://ftp.math.uni-siegen.de in /incoming.

I suggest to collect all the stuff on the fnet machines, so ``customers''
can do one stop shopping.

> We should try to find out what the biggest problems in the current
> state of the port are. Areas that IMHO need work are:
> - Interrupt handling
> - MMU setup and handling

Those two are the hard part.  Not too hard, though.

> - of course, device drivers:
>   o Ethernet (Lance 7990) - should be able to derived from the Sparc port,
>     major difference is that the Lance has a separate memory area in at
>     least the DS[23]100 and 5000/200 and isn't able to do DMA.
>   o SCSI in DS[23]100 - the DEC SII chipset. Documented in the DS3100
>     functional specs
>   o SCSI in almost (?) all other DECstations - NCR53C94. Is this chip
>     documented ?

It isn't only documented, it is supported in a lot of different incarnations.
Thomas Bogendoerfer is supporting it for his Olivetti, a machine that is
probably has a quite a bit more complex DMA principle than the DECstations.

Talking about the NCR, I found some minutes for hacking.  The NCR53C8XX
driver is now working like a charm.

>   o Console drivers (I got some of these working with the DZ11) - a DZ11
>     compatible UART in DS[23]100 and 5000/200, a Zilog 8530 in at least the
>     Personal DECstations and the DS5000/1xx.

Z8530 support exists for the Sparcs and SGI and two other, yet unpublished
machines under Linux/MIPS.