Re: My NEC VR4000's

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: My NEC VR4000's
From: engel@numerik.math.uni-siegen.de (Michael Engel)
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 18:34:21 +0100 (MET)
Hi,

> The system is about a foot and a half tall and about 8-10 inches deep and
> wide... (Square bottom rectangular sides...)    Bright blue with a pop-off
> front that reveals the hard drives on the right and another panel on the
> left... twisting the nob at the top of the left panel couses the panel to drop
> forward and the CPU and Video card can be removed.  (The run from top to
> bottom
> with clips on the top and bottom... pull forward on both clips and they slide
> out.)

This is an Indigo ... no mistake possible ...

> How much does IRIX cost?  And were can I obtain a copy...

Ask your nearest SGI distributor ... but it won't be cheap, I'm afraid :-(.

> I really need to
> repartition these drives and start over... Becouse the system can't be shut
> down properly becouse you need the root password to preform the shut down....
> Consequently it's all messed up.

> I plan on mounting it's drives in my
> desktop and hoping that Linux can read the filesystem so I can clear the root
> password....

This will probably work if the root partition has been formatted with the older
EFS filesystem (the more recent one is called XFS, but I don't know if it
can be used for root partitions). Ask ftpsearch for a file called
efsmod_*gz, this is a loadable kernel module that supports mounting EFS
formatted disks on a Linux system.

> Bye the way... Is there an easier way to clear the root
> password?

Did you try booting into single user mode ?

> And does anybody know what filesystem IRIX uses?

[see above ...]

regards,
        Michael Engel   (engel@unix-ag.uni-siegen.de)