DECstation porters unite !

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: DECstation porters unite !
From: engel@numerik.math.uni-siegen.de (Michael Engel)
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 13:25:01 +0100 (MET)
Hi,

due to the overwhelming amount of requests regardings the DECstation port
during the last few weeks ;-), we should do something to get the port further
along.

I will set up a mirror site of Paul's DECstation information pages on Monday
and would like to ask all people who have DECstation patches to upload the
patches to ftp://ftp.math.uni-siegen.de in /incoming.

We should try to find out what the biggest problems in the current
state of the port are. Areas that IMHO need work are:
- Interrupt handling
- MMU setup and handling
- of course, device drivers:
  o Ethernet (Lance 7990) - should be able to derived from the Sparc port,
    major difference is that the Lance has a separate memory area in at
    least the DS[23]100 and 5000/200 and isn't able to do DMA.
  o SCSI in DS[23]100 - the DEC SII chipset. Documented in the DS3100
    functional specs
  o SCSI in almost (?) all other DECstations - NCR53C94. Is this chip
    documented ?
  o Console drivers (I got some of these working with the DZ11) - a DZ11
    compatible UART in DS[23]100 and 5000/200, a Zilog 8530 in at least the
    Personal DECstations and the DS5000/1xx.
    Support for the DS[23]100 frame buffer also exists.
    We should also examine the differences between the various REX- and
    non-REX firmware versions in the various DECstations.
  o TurboChannel support - probing for cards etc. and support for the most
    important TC options - PMAG-[AB]* graphics adapters, ethernet and SCSI
    controllers (which are simply TC versions of the Lance and NCR53C94).
    Well, we also have a nice 24-bit i860-accelerated graphics board here ;-)

[So you say that's almost everything - hmmm, maybe you're right ;-)]

Probably it is also a good idea to make a list of the hardware that is
available for testing kernels.
I have a DS2100, a 5000/25, a 5000/120 and a 5000/200 and can get
access to 5000/33's, 3100's and 5000/240's at University.

I would personally also like to support the first-generation TurboChannel
AXP machines (3000/[34567]00) as the Alpha developers don't seem to be
interested in these ... but I still don't have such a machine :-(.

regards,
        Michael Engel   (engel@unix-ag.uni-siegen.de)