Re: My NEC VR4000's

To: Drachen Meir <drachen@netexpress.net>
Subject: Re: My NEC VR4000's
From: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 1998 21:02:32 +0100
Cc: linux-mips@fnet.fr
On Sat, Jan 17, 1998 at 01:20:16PM -0600, Drachen Meir wrote:

> I'm intrested in running Linux on my Nec VR4000's.....   They're old
> military computers.

What type exactly are you using?  VR4000 is just the type of NEC's
processor type, it's not the type of a actual machine and MIPS machines
are sometimes pretty different because compatibility is the job of the
OS, not the hardware.  Guessing - your machine is probably technically
pretty similar to the Mips Magnum 4000.

>                      I'll help out anyway I can with you're project...
> and you're web page said that I should contact you and let you know what
> I'm running.    My C is quite rusty...

When you're done with porting Linux to your box it will be so shiny,
you'll have to wear sunglasses when the sun is shining ;-)

>                                         But I would be happy to do beta
> testing and such.    Please let me know about the state of your project
> and how I can help.

We currently don't support the NEC machines.  So you'd be on your own.
Actually not alone, there are other NEC users on the list.  If you want
to work on porting - it's a challenging project, but that's what you could
do.  I did the lion fraction of the rest of the MIPS stuff, therefore I
could help you.