Re: DECstation 3100's

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: DECstation 3100's
From: Peter <deviant@datastacks.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 14:42:33 +0000 ( )
On Thu, 15 Jan 1998, Frieder Streffer wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Jan 1998, Sam Wilson wrote:
>
> > Hey there,
> >
> > I am a student at West Chester University in WestChester, PA (right
> > outside Philadelphia). We are currently going to be replacing some of
> > our old DECstation 3100's. We already have a small Linux project going
> > on here, and I was thinking that these systems would be great for that
> > project. I noticed that you currently don't have too much support for
> > the 3100, however, I might be interested in getting to work on some of
> > that as I can. I was wondering what kind of information you could get to
> > me so that I could get started. And, possibly, if any further work has
> > been completed on the kernel that was not specified in your FAQ.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Sam Wilson
> >
> > swilson@bugs.cs.wcupa.edu
> >
> Hi Sam,
> I have done some work on the code for the 3100, but ran out of time,
> so I'm writing. Alas, I haven't heard something from Paul Antoine who is
> the coordinator for the efforts done on the DECstation code, and the
> Web-Page of the Projekt move some while and disapeared (at least for me).
> But you may find a functional discription of the 3100 on ftp.fnet.fr
> in the ftp.softway.com.au directory. There are also the source of the
> last kernel (2.1.14) and some compiled test-kernels.
> The Book of Gerry Kane (see Linux/Mips homepage) was quite informative.
>
> You may boot the 3100 via tftp:
>
> boot -f tftp()/tftpboot/vmlinux
>
> You need to give the full path of the kernel, independent of whats in
> your /etc/bootptab on you bootserver.
>
> Hope I could give you some help.
>
> Frieder Streffer
>
> P.S. Paul, if you read this mail, I would really appreciate the Webpage
> to be back again!!

If we need a new place to put the Linux/DECStation page, I can host it on
www.datastacks.com, but I can't provide content (I'm still sitting here
wishing that I had a working version for a 5000/25).  Unfortunatly, we'd
be limited to 10 Meg or so of space there right now, and its on a 28.8
until my ISDN gets installed.

 -- Peter

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher
esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."
                -- Nietzsche