Re: DECstation 3100's

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: DECstation 3100's
From: Frieder Streffer <frist@lehr.chem.tu-berlin.de>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 10:19:51 +0100 (MET)

On Wed, 14 Jan 1998, Sam Wilson wrote:

> Hey there,
>
> I am a student at West Chester University in WestChester, PA (right
> outside Philadelphia). We are currently going to be replacing some of
> our old DECstation 3100's. We already have a small Linux project going
> on here, and I was thinking that these systems would be great for that
> project. I noticed that you currently don't have too much support for
> the 3100, however, I might be interested in getting to work on some of
> that as I can. I was wondering what kind of information you could get to
> me so that I could get started. And, possibly, if any further work has
> been completed on the kernel that was not specified in your FAQ.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sam Wilson
>
> swilson@bugs.cs.wcupa.edu

Hi Sam,
I have done some work on the code for the 3100, but ran out of time,
so I'm writing. Alas, I haven't heard something from Paul Antoine who is
the coordinator for the efforts done on the DECstation code, and the
Web-Page of the Projekt move some while and disapeared (at least for me).
But you may find a functional discription of the 3100 on ftp.fnet.fr
in the ftp.softway.com.au directory. There are also the source of the
last kernel (2.1.14) and some compiled test-kernels.
The Book of Gerry Kane (see Linux/Mips homepage) was quite informative.

You may boot the 3100 via tftp:

boot -f tftp()/tftpboot/vmlinux

You need to give the full path of the kernel, independent of whats in
your /etc/bootptab on you bootserver.

Hope I could give you some help.

Frieder Streffer

P.S. Paul, if you read this mail, I would really appreciate the Webpage
to be back again!!