Re: Inst. Linux-Mips on RM200

To: Thilo Schoening <schoening.dus@sni.de>
Subject: Re: Inst. Linux-Mips on RM200
From: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 13:41:37 +0100
Cc: linux-mips@fnet.fr
On Thu, Dec 04, 1997 at 11:49:14AM +0100, Thilo Schoening wrote:

> On my way to install LinuxMips on an RM200-System, i have again
> a few questions :
> After bringing the System to ARC-Mode i want to boot the floppy
> with milo an vmlinux (but why is on milo-0.27 no vmlinux ?)
> The System finds the file and boots it, but hangs a little bit
> later with an empty screen, cursor on the left top.
> Has somebody an idea, what this can be ?

Very easy, Milo 0.27 is not relocatable code as the ARC specification
demands.  This breaks on SNI's firmware.

The vmlinux file included in some versions of the Milo distribution is
a test kernel image which we once upon a time when there was no real
Linux kernel used to test Milo.  It's only supposed to work on some
machines, so when you tried to boot that file the empty screen was
what was supposed to happen.

I never published kernel binaries but will put one on ftp rsn. to take
all you people the pleasures of crosscompiling one.