Re: Magnum big endian port possible?

To: "Chris. Rupnik" <chrisr@hp817.speedware.com>
Subject: Re: Magnum big endian port possible?
From: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 07:58:13 +0100
Cc: linux-mips@fnet.fr
On Wed, Dec 03, 1997 at 12:30:03AM -0500, Chris. Rupnik wrote:

>  I have a magnum that does not have the video card, as we know others do
>  as well. I understand that in big endian mode, i can use a serial console
>  to boot the  unix os that was shipped with the machine, being RISC/OS.
>
>  Is there a status or any planned work in making a big endian port
>  for this particular situation?

No work has been done yet.  I will however be relativly easy as the
kernel is used on both little and big endian machines; userland could
just be copied from the Indy.  Aside you'd also gain binary compatibility
with IRIX.  What would have to be done is essentially adding support for
the big endian MIPS firmware which competly different from the ARC
firmware, that's it.

You voluntered, didn' you ;-)