Re: Need help with my RM200c

To: Morten Helgesen <morten@powertech.no>
Subject: Re: Need help with my RM200c
From: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 17:32:05 +0100
Cc: linux-mips@fnet.fr
On Sun, Nov 30, 1997 at 09:13:08PM +0100, Morten Helgesen wrote:

> I guess my system is configured with the big endian but what ,
> I will switch my system off and connect to
> my rm200 and check out what messages i get.
> Hi i'm back.
>
> Heres what i get:
>
> SNI Monitor Version 5.0207
> Monoprosessor System
> ASIC PCI Revision 1
> Memory........
> bla bla bla bla bla....
>

> xxxx power-on diagnostics result:
>          0x100 <IDPROM>
>
> xxxx problems on 0x100 <Motherboard>
>
> press any key to continue

The firmware monitor contain a small tool to reprogram the IDPROM.
Try the init_e2prom and init_ethaddr commands.  Be careful!  I hope
those commands are also available in the big endian firmware.  The
little endian firmware has them but doesn't document them in the
help command.

> What can i do to format and configure the hard disk so i can install NT on it.
> Where can i get the little endian software, help.. !!!!

You'll have to ask SNI for the disks.  My disk set has the order number
U16529-C12 printed on them.  Be careful, the disks contain NT drivers
which are considered dangerous for health ;-)

Right now installing Linux is only for real bofhs because there is no
real installation procedure.  You'll have to use an ISA IDE hostadapter
in the machine and there is no X server.  NCR SCSI driver comes rsn.  The
box is still fast because it has a good memory subsystem.