Re: NEC Mips support

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: NEC Mips support
From: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 11:49:44 -0700
Cc: "Johnson, Rocky" <Rocky@cnad.dl.nec.com>
In message <95D0F0793CD1D0118AFA00A0C95DC68B014272@saratoga.cnad.dl.nec.com>
"Johnson, Rocky" writes:
: I've got 2 NEC RISCServer 2200's catching dust as you say, and I would
: like to put Linux on them.  Being from an i386 world I'm not sure I
: understand why it can run on a DEC machine, but not on a NEC...  Is it
: lack of support or are the processors fundamentally different?  Anyway,
: does any port exist for the NEC?  If you have the time let me know.

The NEC would likely be easy to support, if there was adequate
documenation on the hardware.  There will be some hacking needed to
MILO to get it to recognize things, as well as some minor (and not so
minor maybe) hacking to the kernel to add support for the chipsets
around the NEC board.  If my memory from past posts is accurate, these
machines are little more than the Microsoft JAZZ with a couple of
interesting twists.  They have R4400's inside of them and are
basically supported hardware, modulo a couple of things that are
escaping my memory at the moment.

Since none of the expert kernel folks have access to the NEC boxes,
they have remained unsupported for a long time.

Warner