Re: MIPS Linux

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: MIPS Linux
From: Miguel de Icaza <miguel@nuclecu.unam.mx>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 13:19:46 -0500
Jens author of Gmix said:

> I have two MIPS-boxes, that aren't supported by Linux/MIPS. It's a
> Nintendo 64 and a Sony Playstation, having a R4300 and a R3000. I feel
> like hacking them, so do you know if anybody else is working on this
> topic ? RAM-extension may be a problem, but otherwise it'd be a cool
> project.

Todd Shrider showed interest in workin in this project
(tshrider@cs.indiana.edu).

The main problem is that it will be difficult to get information on
the internals of the machine.  The R4300 should be pretty easy to
support with the current kernel.  The R3000 support is not yet quite
ready, so some hacking in this area will be required.

I have never used a nintendo 64, but I imagine that the only solution
may be to disassemble their rom and some games to figure out how to
access some of the machine precious resources.

Cheers,
Miguel.