video cards

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: video cards
From: Ryan <ryan@ravage.labs.gmu.edu>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 08:41:22 -0400 (EDT)
I don't know if anyone on this list knows anything about the GGI project,
but there are several areas where that project could be of interest to our
port.

For one thing, machines that require nonstandard video cards (like the
Magnums) and other machines that don't have x86 BIOS emulation (like the
PCI boards) should be able to use EISA or PCI graphics boards that
wouldn't otherwise work, due to the ability of GGI drivers to wake up
boards that haven't been awakened by a machine's firmware.  This also
allows multiheaded machines, since most modern video cards have the
ability to allow MMIO modes.  Right now, for example, it is possible on
the 386 platform to have as many S3 Trio64V+ and/or 968's, 964's, or 928's
in operation as you have availible slots.

Just thought I'd try to spark some interest in the project within this
group.

Is mise le meas,
Ryan Rafferty