old SGI workstations

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: old SGI workstations
From: "Henrik R. Scheel" <scheelh@kfumscout.dk>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 1997 15:13:32 +0200
Hello,
  I would like to start by telling you how much I admire your ongoing
efforts to port Linux software.

I have a few old Personal Iris workstations that I would like to use for
running Linux. I think they have a MIPS R3000 processor, 8 or 16 MB ram
and 250 MB harddisk. So I suppose they will perform much like a Intel
486 or a slow pentium, only with better graphics, if Linux will run on
them.

They will make great X-terminals, though, with those big screens.

I would like to tell you that I have the time and ability do a lot of
kernel-hacking on this port, but I can't. I simply cannot promise to put
any time in it. (I might not have the ability (yet), either   :-)

On the other hand, if your best judgement says that only minor changes
to an existing port will probably work, I will give it a try.

I found out as much as:
Linux is running on R300 now (?)
but not on SGI Personal Iris (?)
on SGI Indy (!)
which has a similar hardware design (memory, bus, video, network) (?)

Well I haven't found out a lot, yet.
Any pointers will be appreciated.

Best Regards,
Henrik
--
Henrik R. Scheel, Danish Geotechnical institute,
Maglebjergvej 1, BOX 119, 2800 Lyngby, Danmark