Re: Linux/MIPS for DECstations...

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Linux/MIPS for DECstations...
From: "Harald Koerfgen" <hkoerfg1@ford.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 11:26:23 +0100
Comments: Authenticated sender is <hkoerfg1@dttws020.merkenich.ford.com>
Hello,

> I'd like to mention that due to popular demand (Some commercial
> embedded projects just didn't choose Linux/MIPS because there was no
> "stable" release 2.0 available) I'm working on backporting most of
> the MIPS stuff implemented for 2.1.x back to 2.0.30+.  I hope to get
> it stable this week, at least that is the deadline I'm imposing on
> myself ... That should also give you DECstation people some slowly
> moving source base to start from.

That's great.

> Could you guys tell me, in which routine the kernel actually died?
> It might be that I can fix things very easily.

Well, yesterday evening I spent a few hours hacking my new 240
DECstation (39.85 "real BogoMIPS"(tm) BTW). This $§%&/§(/ Box can't
boot via tftp, so I had to choose the hard way: boot ultrix, download
new kernel, shutdown, boot new kernel via Ultrixboot, turn DECstation
off, turn DECstation on, boot ultrix ...

To make a long story short, I don't have the exact output at hand
here at work but the first debug output tells someting about:

[swapper 0] Illegal instruction at Address <somewhere>.

The instruction that causes this exception is:

>reload_pgd_entries:
>#endif /* CONF_DEBUG_TLB */
>
>        /* Load missing pair of entries from the pgd and return. */
>        mfc0    k1,CP0_CONTEXT
>        nop
>        lw      k0,(k1)           #Never causes nested exception
>        mfc0    k1,CP0_EPC        # get the return PC

in arch/mips/kernel/r2300_misc.S.

Hope this helps
Harald